Dear Hugo,
Your adventurous story has been an inspiration to me. I was captivated by your story right away. I wanted to know what was in that notebook! I read your words with a sense of excitement and anticipation, and every page I turned left me wanting to know more.
I felt the sadness you experienced when your father passed away. When you “wanted to fall over, to just lie down on the sidewalk and disappear” (124), I felt your pain. I wanted to join you on that sidewalk. I have also experienced death in my family, and the way you handled it, especially at your age, was amazing. I wish I had the courage you have, Hugo.
When the train almost took your life, I was terrified! I can’t even imagine your paralyzing fear as “the black engine was zooming right toward [you]” (459). I thought to myself, “No! He can’t die! There are too many things he has yet to do in his life, and too many contributions he must make to the world.” I thanked the Heavens when you were rescued!
The line in the story, “Hugo’s future seemed to fall perfectly into place” (507) literally brought tears to my eyes, and sent shivers down my spine. After all of the hardships you endured, and all of the obstacles you had to overcome, you finally got everything you deserved! This is why I found your story so inspiring, Hugo. Even though it was a difficult journey, and you could have given up so many times, you didn’t. You got to where you wanted to be!
You are an amazing character, and your story will live on as a reminder to everyone that the “impossible” can be achieved! You are truly a hero, Hugo Cabret! Thank you for sharing your tale; or, shall I thank your automaton?
Sincerely,
Allie Capobianco, a dedicated reader
No comments:
Post a Comment